The Brazilian Journal of Biometrics (BJB) is committed to upholding the highest standards of publication ethics and integrity. The journal follows established guidelines and principles to ensure the ethical conduct of all parties involved in the publication process, including authors, editors, reviewers, and readers. The following key aspects encompass BJB's commitment to publication ethics:
- Authorship and Originality: BJB requires that all submitted manuscripts represent original work and that all authors listed have significantly contributed to the research. Proper acknowledgment of the contributions of others is essential. Plagiarism or any form of unethical research conduct is strictly prohibited.
- Duplicate submission: BJB prohibits duplicate submission or publication of papers. If authors have used their own previously published or under-review work as the basis for a submission, they must cite the previous work and highlight the novel contributions of the current manuscript. Sanctions may be imposed for violations. BJB upholds these guidelines to maintain integrity and publish original and valuable contributions.
- Citation manipulation: BJB prohibits citation manipulation, which involves including citations solely to increase citation counts for specific authors or journals. Sanctions will be imposed for such practices.
- Improper author contribution or attribution: All authors listed on a submitted paper must have made significant scientific contributions and approved all claims. This includes acknowledging the contributions of students and laboratory technicians.
- Peer Review Process: BJB follows a rigorous peer-review process to ensure the quality and integrity of published articles. Reviewers are selected based on their expertise and provide objective and constructive feedback to authors. The review process is confidential, ensuring anonymity and impartiality.
- Conflicts of Interest: Authors are required to disclose any potential conflicts of interest that could influence the research or interpretation of the results. Editors and reviewers are also expected to declare any conflicts of interest and recuse themselves from handling manuscripts that may lead to bias.
- Data Integrity and Reproducibility: BJB emphasizes the importance of data integrity and reproducibility. Authors should accurately report their methods, results, and data sources, making them accessible for verification and replication. Fabrication, falsification, or selective reporting of data is considered unethical.
- Ethical Treatment of Human and Animal Subjects: Authors must ensure that research involving human or animal subjects complies with ethical standards and is conducted in accordance with relevant guidelines and regulations. Informed consent and ethical approval should be obtained, and subjects' privacy and confidentiality should be protected.
- Corrections and Retractions: BJB recognizes the importance of rectifying errors or inaccuracies promptly. Authors should promptly notify the editor if a significant error or inaccuracy is discovered in their published work. Corrections, retractions, or clarifications will be issued when necessary to maintain the integrity of the scientific record.
- Editorial Independence and Transparency: BJB upholds editorial independence and ensures that editorial decisions are based on academic merit, without any bias or undue influence. The journal maintains transparency by providing clear guidelines, policies, and instructions for authors, reviewers, and readers.
- Respect for Intellectual Property: BJB respects the intellectual property rights of authors and others involved in the publication process. Proper attribution and citation of sources are expected, and copyright regulations are upheld.
BJB is committed to fostering a culture of ethical publishing, adhering to these principles and guidelines. By promoting responsible research practices, transparency, and accountability, BJB aims to maintain the highest ethical standards in scholarly publishing.
Duties of the Editor-in-Chief The Editor-in-Chief of the Brazilian Journal of Biometrics (BJB) holds a key role in overseeing the overall management and strategic direction of the journal. Their duties include:
- Editorial Leadership: The Editor-in-Chief provides strong leadership and guidance to the editorial team, ensuring the journal's mission, scope, and goals are effectively communicated and upheld.
- Editorial Policy and Standards: They establish and maintain the journal's editorial policies, ethical guidelines, and publication standards, adhering to industry best practices and promoting academic integrity.
- Manuscript Handling: The Editor-in-Chief oversees the manuscript handling process, including assigning submissions to appropriate editors, monitoring progress, and ensuring timely and fair editorial decisions.
- Peer Review Process: They oversee the peer review process, ensuring rigorous evaluation, impartiality, and constructive feedback from reviewers. They may also make editorial decisions based on reviewer recommendations and their own expertise.
- Quality Control: The Editor-in-Chief maintains the quality and consistency of published content by ensuring adherence to style guidelines, reviewing final drafts, and overseeing the editing and production process.
- Editorial Board Management: They collaborate with the editorial board, providing guidance, fostering a supportive and productive environment, and encouraging their active participation in journal activities.
- Journal Promotion and Development: The Editor-in-Chief plays a vital role in promoting the journal, seeking to expand its readership, attract high-quality submissions, and increase its impact within the scientific community.
- Conflict Resolution: They handle conflicts of interest, ethical concerns, and any disputes that may arise during the publication process, ensuring fair and transparent resolutions.
- Continuous Improvement: The Editor-in-Chief works to enhance the journal's quality and reputation by implementing improvements, soliciting feedback from stakeholders, and staying abreast of emerging trends and innovations in scholarly publishing.
By fulfilling these duties, the Editor-in-Chief plays a crucial role in maintaining the integrity, reputation, and success of the Brazilian Journal of Biometrics.
Duties of the Co-Editors
The Co-Editors of the Brazilian Journal of Biometrics (BJB) play important roles in supporting the Editor-in-Chief and ensuring the smooth functioning of the journal. Their duties include:
- Manuscript Handling: The Co-Editors assist in managing the manuscript submission and review process. They assess the suitability of submitted manuscripts for peer review, assign reviewers, and make editorial decisions based on reviewer feedback and their own expertise.
- Peer Review Coordination: Co-Editors coordinate the peer review process by ensuring timely and thorough evaluations from reviewers. They may communicate with reviewers to address questions or concerns and guide them in providing constructive feedback.
- Editorial Decision Making: Co-Editors contribute to editorial decisions regarding manuscript acceptance, revision, or rejection. They carefully evaluate the scientific merit, methodology, and significance of the research presented in the manuscripts they handle.
- Quality Assurance: Co-Editors play a crucial role in maintaining the quality and integrity of published content. They ensure that manuscripts meet the journal's standards, adhere to ethical guidelines, and are properly formatted and edited.
- Collaboration with Editorial Team: Co-Editors collaborate with the Editor-in-Chief and other members of the editorial team, contributing their expertise and insights to enhance the journal's operations and strategic development.
- Journal Promotion and Outreach: Co-Editors actively participate in promoting the journal and its mission. They may engage in activities such as attending conferences, fostering collaborations, and encouraging high-quality submissions from researchers in the field.
- Reviewer Management: Co-Editors assist in identifying and recruiting qualified reviewers, maintaining a pool of experts in various subfields of biometrics, and ensuring timely completion of reviews.
- Editorial Board Support: Co-Editors support the Editor-in-Chief in managing the editorial board, providing guidance and assistance as needed to ensure effective board functioning and engagement.
- Continual Professional Development: Co-Editors stay informed about advancements and emerging trends in biometrics research and scholarly publishing, continually improving their knowledge and skills to uphold the journal's standards.
By fulfilling these duties, the Co-Editors contribute to the overall success and impact of the Brazilian Journal of Biometrics, ensuring the publication of high-quality research in the field of biometrics.
Duties of the Associate Editors
The Associate Editors of the Brazilian Journal of Biometrics (BJB) play important roles in supporting the editorial team and ensuring the efficient processing of manuscripts. Their duties include:
- Manuscript Evaluation: Associate Editors evaluate assigned manuscripts for their suitability for publication in BJB. They assess the scientific quality, methodology, and relevance of the research presented in the manuscripts.
- Reviewer Assignment: Associate Editors identify and assign appropriate reviewers for the manuscripts they handle. They consider the expertise and qualifications of potential reviewers to ensure a rigorous and fair peer review process.
- Peer Review Coordination: Associate Editors oversee the peer review process by monitoring the progress of reviews, ensuring timely completion, and managing communication between authors, reviewers, and the editorial team.
- Editorial Decision Making: Associate Editors make editorial decisions based on the feedback and recommendations provided by reviewers. They carefully consider the scientific merit, originality, and significance of the research before recommending acceptance, revision, or rejection.
- Manuscript Improvement: Associate Editors provide constructive feedback to authors, highlighting areas for improvement and suggesting revisions to enhance the clarity, methodology, and impact of the manuscripts.
- Editorial Board Collaboration: Associate Editors collaborate with the Editor-in-Chief, Co-Editors, and other Associate Editors to discuss editorial policies, journal development strategies, and emerging trends in the field. They actively contribute to decision-making processes and provide input on journal-related matters.
- Research Community Engagement: Associate Editors may represent BJB at academic conferences, workshops, or other scientific events. They promote the journal's mission, encourage high-quality submissions, and foster collaborations within the biometrics research community.
- Continuous Professional Development: Associate Editors stay updated on the latest developments in biometrics research and scholarly publishing. They enhance their knowledge and skills through continuous learning and engagement with relevant literature and professional networks.
By fulfilling these duties, the Associate Editors contribute to the successful operation of BJB, ensuring the rigorous evaluation and publication of high-quality research articles in the field of biometrics.
Duties of the Guest Editors
The Guest Editors of the Brazilian Journal of Biometrics (BJB) play a crucial role in coordinating and overseeing special issues or thematic sections of the journal. Their duties include:
- Topic Selection: Guest Editors collaborate with the BJB editorial team to identify relevant and timely topics for special issues or thematic sections. They propose themes that align with the journal's scope and contribute to the advancement of biometrics research.
- Call for Papers: Guest Editors assist in preparing the call for papers, outlining the scope, objectives, and submission guidelines for the special issue or thematic section. They promote the call among researchers and relevant communities to attract high-quality submissions.
- Manuscript Handling: Guest Editors manage the review process for submitted manuscripts. They assign suitable reviewers, oversee the peer review process, and make editorial decisions based on reviewer feedback and their own expertise.
- Editorial Decision Making: Guest Editors make final decisions on manuscript acceptance, revision, or rejection, in consultation with the Editor-in-Chief or Associate Editors. They ensure that the published articles meet the journal's standards and contribute significantly to the selected theme.
- Communication and Coordination: Guest Editors maintain effective communication with authors, reviewers, and the BJB editorial team throughout the editorial process. They provide timely updates and guidance to authors regarding revisions, ensure timely completion of reviews, and address any queries or concerns that may arise.
- Collaboration with the Editorial Team: Guest Editors collaborate closely with the Editor-in-Chief and other members of the editorial team. They actively engage in discussions, share expertise, and contribute to the overall development and improvement of the journal.
- Quality Assurance: Guest Editors ensure that all published articles in the special issue or thematic section adhere to the journal's standards of scientific rigor, clarity, and ethical conduct. They work closely with authors to address any deficiencies or required revisions.
- Promotion and Impact: Guest Editors assist in promoting the special issue or thematic section, raising awareness within the research community, and increasing its visibility and impact. They may engage in activities such as guest editorials, conference presentations, or social media outreach to promote published articles.
By fulfilling these duties, the Guest Editors contribute to the successful organization and publication of special issues or thematic sections, enhancing the diversity and depth of research published in the Brazilian Journal of Biometrics
Duties of the Reviewers
Reviewers play a crucial role in the peer review process of the Brazilian Journal of Biometrics (BJB). Their duties include:
- Timely Review: Reviewers are responsible for conducting timely reviews of assigned manuscripts. They should prioritize completing the review within the agreed-upon timeframe to ensure the smooth progress of the editorial process.
- Confidentiality: Reviewers must maintain the confidentiality of the manuscript and the review process. They should not disclose or discuss the content of the manuscript with others, except as required during the review process.
- Constructive Feedback: Reviewers are expected to provide constructive, objective, and unbiased feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of the manuscript. They should highlight areas that require improvement, suggest revisions or clarifications, and offer insightful comments that help enhance the quality of the research.
- Expertise and Objectivity: Reviewers should possess expertise in the relevant field and approach the review process with objectivity. They should evaluate the manuscript based on its scientific merit, originality, methodology, clarity, and adherence to ethical standards.
- Ethical Considerations: Reviewers should identify and report any potential ethical concerns, such as plagiarism, duplicate publication, or undisclosed conflicts of interest. They should bring such issues to the attention of the editor for appropriate action.
- Communication: Reviewers should maintain open and professional communication with the editor and provide clear and concise feedback in their review reports. They should express their opinions and recommendations in a respectful manner.
- Disclosure of Conflicts of Interest: Reviewers must disclose any conflicts of interest that could influence their impartiality or objectivity in reviewing the manuscript. If they feel they cannot provide an unbiased review, they should decline the review request.
- Prompt Response: Reviewers should promptly accept or decline review invitations, providing reasons for declining if necessary. If additional time is required to complete the review, they should inform the editor in a timely manner.
By fulfilling these duties, reviewers contribute to the rigorous evaluation and improvement of the manuscripts submitted to BJB. Their expertise and feedback play a vital role in maintaining the quality and integrity of the journal's publications.
Duties of the Authors
Authors have important responsibilities in the publication process of the Brazilian Journal of Biometrics (BJB). Their duties include:
- Originality and Authenticity: Authors must ensure that their submitted work is original and has not been previously published elsewhere. They should provide accurate and complete information, ensuring the authenticity and integrity of their research findings.
- Manuscript Preparation: Authors should follow the guidelines provided by BJB for manuscript preparation, including formatting, citation style, and ethical considerations. They should present their research clearly, providing sufficient details about the methodology, results, and conclusions.
- Integrity and Ethical Conduct: Authors should conduct their research in accordance with ethical guidelines and applicable regulations. They should obtain appropriate permissions, approvals, and informed consent and provide necessary acknowledgments. Any potential conflicts of interest should be shared with you.
- Data and Reproducibility: Authors should ensure the availability and transparency of their data, allowing for the reproducibility of their findings. They should provide sufficient details, methodologies, and resources to enable others to validate and build upon their work.
- Authorship and Acknowledgments: All individuals who have made substantial contributions to the research should be listed as authors. Authors should ensure that all listed authors have approved the final version of the manuscript and agreed to its submission. Proper acknowledgment should be given to individuals or organizations that have contributed to the research or provided funding or support.
- Review and Revision: Authors should carefully review their manuscripts before submission, ensuring accuracy, clarity, and adherence to the journal's guidelines. They should respond to reviewer comments and suggestions in a timely and constructive manner, making necessary revisions to improve the quality and presentation of their work.
- Disclosure and Transparency: Authors should disclose any potential conflicts of interest that could be perceived as influencing the research, its interpretation, or the publication process. They should provide accurate and comprehensive references to previous works that are relevant to their research.
- Compliance with Copyright and Publication Policies: Authors should respect copyright laws and obtain appropriate permissions for the use of copyrighted materials. They should comply with the policies and guidelines set forth by BJB regarding the publication and sharing of their research.
By fulfilling these duties, authors contribute to the integrity, quality, and impact of the publications in BJB. Their adherence to ethical standards and responsible research practices ensures the credibility and validity of the scientific literature.
Duties of the Publisher
The publisher of the Brazilian Journal of Biometrics (BJB), Publisher UFLA (https://www.editora.ufla.br/), plays a vital role in ensuring the effective dissemination and management of the journal. Their duties include:Facilitating the Publication Process: The publisher oversees the smooth operation of the journal and provides the necessary infrastructure for manuscript submission, peer review, production, and online publication.
- Ensuring Quality and Integrity: The publisher is responsible for upholding the highest standards of publication ethics and integrity. They work closely with the editors to implement and enforce policies that promote ethical research conduct, transparency, and accountability.
- Supporting the Editorial Team: The publisher supports the editorial team by providing administrative assistance, managing the journal's website and online platform, and ensuring the timely publication of accepted manuscripts.
- Online Presence: The publisher maintains and updates the journal's online platform, ensuring its functionality, accessibility, and user-friendly interface. They may also oversee the development and implementation of additional online features to enhance the journal's digital presence.
- Promoting the Journal: The publisher plays a vital role in promoting the journal and increasing its visibility among the scientific community. This includes marketing initiatives, maintaining partnerships with indexing databases, and facilitating the dissemination of published articles.